We all are stressed out, that’s no surprise. But the management of stress and how to overcome it before it becomes too overwhelming is less known. Here are some of my favorite ways to reduce stress, and some recommendations from Cindy Beadles, the director of counseling services.
- Exercise. Even 20 minutes can lower your blood pressure, help you sleep better, and energize you.
- Use guided meditation, there are plenty of videos on YouTube to help you relax.
- Practice self-care, physical, mental, and emotional care.
- Set realistic goals and expectations, and remember that not everything can be controlled.
- This one hurts a bit, but avoid caffeine.
- Complete this grounding activity
5. Acknowledge 5 things you can see
4. Acknowledge 4 things you can touch around you
3. Acknowledge 3 things you can hear
2. Acknowledge 2 things you can smell
1. Acknowledge 1 thing you can taste
Overall, you know yourself best and each person has their own stress management techniques, these are some of them that I do most often because they work for me.
Ali Vorhies – Features Editor