Home Football 10.9

The Scots returned to their home field on October 9 to defend their field against the University of Chicago. Although they started with a large lead, they had to hold onto it at the end of the game as the Maroons made a push to take the lead. Although the game started between two undefeated conference teams, the game concluded with a Scots victory, leaving the Scots unbeaten in Midwest Conference play halfway through the season. Chicago took an early lead when their first drive covered seventy-six yards in six plays, which ended in a thirty-five yard touchdown run. Monmouth immediately responded with a ten play, fifty-eight yard drive, ending with senior Devin Lawrence plunging into the end zone, bringing the game to a 7-7 tie. Forcing punts on the next four Chicago drives, the Scots even forced a punt on a drive that started at the three yard line after a muffed kickoff return. The Scots took the advantage and scored on each proceeding succession. Then, junior Henderson Francois took over, scoring from a one yard out for a 21-7 Scots’ lead starting on Chicago’s thirty four yard line. Monmouth again took over on the Chicago twenty-seven yard line after another punt and following a penalty on the Maroons. Francois scored from seventeen yards out, but the extra point was blocked, leaving the Scots’ lead at 27-7. However, following a muffed punt recovered by the Maroons, Chicago kicked a field goal to cut the lead to 27-10, but the Scots fought back with a ten play, seventy-five yard drive to take their largest lead of the day as junior Riley Fetterer capped the drive with a fifteen yard touchdown run to bring the score to 33-10. Going into the second half, Chicago scored in the first play of successive drives with a seventy-eight yard pass and run touchdown and a thirty-two yard touchdown reception to bring the score to 33-24. Monmouth’s first drive of the second half ended on downs at Chicago’s twenty-six yard line with senior Jake Uryasz coming up inches short on the fourth and eight. The Maroons went down the field on three plays and scored again, bringing the score to 33-30 and making the Scots nervous as their lead began to slip. The first Monmouth drive of the fourth quarter stalled at the thirty-seven yard line, and junior Addison Fletcher blasted a sixty-three yard punt for a touchback. The Scots scored again with a mere four minutes left on the clock when Francois ran thirty yards to the endzone. Although the Scots almost iced the game with a safety, Chicago managed to score once more to bring the final score to 40-37, but the Scots held onto their lead until the clock ran out. The Scots will return home to April Zorn Stadium on October 23 for Monmouth’s Homecoming weekend.

Brooke McCormick – Sports Editor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *